Ok.. I know this sounds crazy… but they’re delicious. This recipe is pretty much based on Happy Herbivore’s version from her eating light cookbook (side note: it’s a great buy!). The only different is I’m obsessed with parmesan cheese, so I took a step from making real meet burgers and added the cheese (yes.. it’s vegan) into the mixture.
- 15 oz can of white beans drained & rinsed (any white beans work, and because I don’t have a ton in my pantry – I used pino & they tasted just fine!)
- 1/4 c marinara sauce
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- a few dashes (approx 1 tsp) Italian seasoning (this is more to taste than anything)
- 1/3 c instant oats
- 1/3 c vegan parmesan cheese (which you can make or purchase at stores like Whole Foods, Trader Joe’s, Sprouts, etc)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Line cookie sheet with parchment paper.
- Mash beans with fork until mostly pureed but some whole and half bean parts are left. (Note: I used a food processor for this & then transferred into a mixing bowl, but you can also use a potato smasher or fork in a mixing bowl.)
- In the mixing bowl, stir in sauce and spices until well combined.
- Mix in oats
- Mix in parmesan cheese
- Divide into four equal portions and shape into burger patties.
- Bake for 10 minutes then flip over & bake for another 5-7 minutes or until crusty on the outside.
- My suggestion to serve (optional) – add marina sauce on top & sprinkle some additional parmesan cheese.